Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More Memorial Wekend Fun!

What a fun-filled weekend we had! We enjoyed our first official trek to the lake on Sunday afternoon and had a cook-out that evening...there's really nothing better!












The next morning we were up bright and early (well, that wasn't actually the plan, ha) so we headed downtown for the Memorial Day Parade, where I took no less than a thousand pictures. Maybe not, but it sure felt that way! And I may have even had one or two of my subjects throw their hands up in protest on occasion...what's that all about?  :)




THANK YOU VETERANS & FAMILIES!
We have these freedoms because of your sacrifices- thank you!

Every year my Mom and Dad and I plant flowers on my grandparent's grave sites, so they came over to pick me up after the parade. Jonah and Caleb wanted to come along, so they squeezed in the backseat with poor Mimi- I don't do squishy backseats anymore, ha! She loved it!

There was an elderly lady fiddling with the water spigot, so of course Grampy volunteered to fill her watering can and carry it over to where she was planting. She was so thankful- it was sweet. Then my Dad motioned the boys over and told them to bring the tools. I guess the soil was compact and she was having a hard time trying to loosen it up. Jonah and Caleb ran over to them and got right to work! She was so kind and offered them a dollar each for their help, but they both smiled and said that was not necessary- they were happy to help. It was one of those ordinary moments that somehow seem more than ordinary, and I know I will remember it for the rest of my life.

 this is my mother's father and mother- I was in Spain when my Nana died, and I had a really hard time with that. The Christmas card I'd mailed her arrived the day after she died, and that was devastating! But she knew I loved her!


Grampy treated us all to cold drinks at McDonalds. I let the boys get a soda, gasp! I don't think I've ever done that before...is that pitiful or what!? We sat there for a long while, and somehow the topic became my parents' first date up through their engagement. It was so neat! I was surprised though- some things I had remembered incorrectly, so yesterday, the record was set straight! I felt really, really happy listening to their stories. Of course, Caleb cracked me up when he knuckle bumped (you know, the guy knuckle to knuckle thing they do when they're impressed) when Grampy said that he was also dating another girl at the time. Insert loud sigh. For the record, I told him that would get him into more trouble than he bargained for, and Grampy agreed, ha ha!

Then we got to visit with Bill's family in the afternoon, complete with canoe rides, jumping off into the pond, catching bull frogs, and a big ol' cookout. Oh, and Jello Poke Cake- YUM!- but that's an old standby, so I'm still on the lookout for a few new summery desserts.









And...our home study is moving forward, which is very exciting! God definitely has a sense of humor- I'll explain later. I cannot wait to meet our new baby!!!!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...