Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Roasted Acorn Squash: Fast, Easy Prep, and Delicious!

We are smack dab in the middle of a brewing thunderstorm and I'm wondering if we aren't going to lose the power in, say, the next twenty seconds. I'd better type fast. Because I've clearly got my priorities in perfect working order. =)

There are a gazillion different recipes and methods for baking/roasting/cooking/preparing acorn squash. I wanted easy, fast, and not quite so sugary and fattening that it no longer counts as a good-for-you food. Which in fact a veggie or fruit should always be. Well, almost always. Here goes!

Here's What You'll Need:
1-2 acorn squash (squashes? - that doesn't sound right...)
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp butter, melted
coarse salt
black pepper
dash cinnamon, optional
shallow baking pan/ cookie sheet
aluminum foil or parchment paper

Here's What You Do:
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Slice squash into 1-inch wide slices and remove seeds and pulp from center; cut in half again and place on prepared pan in a single layer.
 Drizzle or brush melted butter over each slice; salt and pepper as you like, and sprinkle brown sugar (I use my fingers to sort of pinch it), and cinnamon if desired. That's it! Super easy, right?
(You might notice that I didn't use foil or parchment paper here- I suggest using it because it makes cleaning up easier, that's all.)


Bake about 10 minutes and turn over each slice; bake 10-15 minutes more or until tender. If they cook too long the sugar will start to burn and you will certainly smell that- that's not exactly what we're going for here, but it has happened to me a few times and it really isn't a big deal. They still taste great! Let sit a few minutes and serve warm. You can use a fork to eat them straight from the slice, simply removing the flesh from the skin; or you can scoop the flesh and mash it like a sweet potato casserole. Enjoy!


Tonight is actually the first time it has rained in about a week, and we sure have enjoyed the beautiful sunshine! Field trips, family trips, and trips to the lake, beach and mountains...the perfect first week of summer!



I think my beach pics have all been on instagram- look for me under 'roseandruffle' if you'd like to find me there. I'm outta here because I happen to know there's a root beer float with my name on it in the other room. Have a great night!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...