Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
1 Corinthians 3:17

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Easy Apple Crumble Pie Recipe





Nothing says Welcome Fall quite like homemade apple pie.
Unlike yesterday and today, we had been having perfect crisp, (light) sweater-weather days, so we celebrated by making the first apple pie of the season. Something I'm more than happy to do since I no longer loathe, or am terrified by, making my own pie crust. ;)

This time around, the hubs asked for a crumb topping. I was going to make more of a crisp topping, with oats, but then thought I'd try a more shortbread kind of crumble. Well let me tell you, it ended up being nearly impossible to resist sneaking bites
throughout the day. Starting maybe at breakfast. But what responsible adult would do that, so never mind. Nothing to report here.


I think this pie is also referred to as a Dutch pie, though I had no intention of adding raisins. Is that what makes it Dutch? No idea. But no matter what you call it, it's just plain yummy. The crumble topping is light but rich all at the same time.

Here's What You Need
6-8 medium to large sized apples (I used a combination of Mack & Granny Smith)
1 tsp Allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Crumb Topping
1 cup flour (I use unbleached)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened

Here's What You Do
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Prepare pie crust - I use Ina Garten's and love it

While the dough is chilling, peel and slice your apples; add them to a large bowl. Add spices and sugar to apples, stirring lightly to coat. 

Once you've lined the pie plate with the crust, flute under the edges. Add the apples.

Using the same bowl, lightly blend together the flour and sugars; add butter and pinch together with you fingers. Don't over do it. Spread the topping mixture evenly over the apple slices. Bake for about 50 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or cool with whipped cream. So, so good.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...